Aff407 Candie

This pattern is very much in the early 1960s style using motifs of stylised flowers which would, in later years, become much more flamboyant but which, for now, were a little more restrained.

The colour scheme is a simple blue and pink for the motif and a contrast and non-invasive scheme for the squares behind. The intention with this pattern was to create a design which looked pleasant and perhaps a little homely. My intention was to create a range of products on Redbubble which were both for homeware and for fashion and you can see the result above.

I did try other colour schemes but none of them seemed to have the appeal of the design above, which was the first one that I created and so there is perhaps a lesson there for me to learn. My wife is always telling me not to mess with the designs that I create because I rarely seem to make them any better!

If you wish, you can also see larger versions of this and, of course, my other designs and patterns for interiors on my Flickr page, a link to which is here.

Wheels Of Colour

Redbubble Products Made With This Design

This design is rather an amalgamation of different motifs that have been put together to resemble the tile patterns that were produced in the UK mid-century.

I have taken some liberties with the colours and, although the colouring is still firmly mid-century, it is much brighter and more extreme than you perhaps might have found that time. The colours, as you may have guessed, are from my extended mid-century palette.

The intention with this particular pattern was to produce a very colourful design for both clothing and homeware products such as cushions. I have included an image which shows four of this range made with Redbubble where I hope that you will agree that they produce good-looking and pleasant patterned final products. For the want of a better name I decided to title them as shown above.

If you wish, you can also see larger versions of this and, of course, my other designs and patterns for interiors on my Flickr page, a link to which is here.

Mid-Century Fashion Pattern

I had more or less given up trying to produce mid-century fashion textures for the 3D models that I have from Daz.

Then, to my surprise and delight, Daz themselves have produced what is essentially a mannequin figure. This figure is for Genesis 3 and replaces some of the geometry for the head, arms and feet as well as other parts of the anatomy. Used carefully this produces a mannequin figure. I always had difficulty, and this is probably just me not being clever enough, in producing reasonable looking and lifelike renders from the Daz figures so that I could use fashion designs in 3D.

The advantage of using mannequins is that it is easier to import them into Cinema 4D and then to texture the resulting figure. I have to admit to being more at home in Cinema 4D than I am in producing renders with Daz even with the new Iray renderer. I therefore took advantage of this and built a shop window with three mannequin figures which I will use somewhere else. But this enabled me to create a small section of that model in order to show the mid-century fashion pattern that I have created as a 3D texture.

This particular design is rooted very much in the 1950s and early 1960s and is both easy to design and produce and always seems to look good.

You can also see larger versions of this and our other work on our Flickr page which is here.

Apartment (was a hotel room)

3d apartment

This space was made originally for a hotel room and was furnished as a more or less standard modern room and used fairly uninspiring colors and textures.

However, I thought it would be fun and useful to change the use of room and make it look more like an apartment. The furniture is pretty much the same but with some additions and alterations. However, the textures used for both the room and the furnishings are quite different and more in keeping with the way that a family might decorate.

You can see the hotel room and it’s development to an apartment on the Flickr page below which also has a full size version of this illustration.

This now looks like a normal mid-century room and it has shown me how easy it is to reuse some of the spaces that I have created. I think the next task is to reuse the space again as maybe a bolder example of late 1960s/70s decorating.

My Flickr page is here.

xar301

mid-century pattern

Back to the seaside today for a lovely pattern for a dress. Yes, I know, the model looks a bit overdressed for a day out but it’s evening and she is about to go out for dinner!

This is a nice, sophisticated pattern based on a variety of mid-century ideas and motifs and the sort of dress pattern that looks good anywhere.

It was created using Eastern Terrace and a Genesis model from Daz using Daz Studio 4 with the pattern created in Xara Designer.

xar264

xar264
xar264_c2psp1024

A simple pattern produces a lovely mid-century inspired design that makes up into a perfect virtual fabric.

The base layer is zephyr while the lines are cyclamen in one and then the base is lovely marigold and the lines midnight blue for a perfect colour combination in the second.

This was created in Xara Designer and assembled and rendered in Daz.

xar261

xar261
xar261

This virtual fabric is very much designed around mid-century ideas using both backgrounds and colours from that period to produce two very different looking tops.

The background to the material is Midnight Blue and Jasmine, both mid-century British Standard colours. The design also features a range of colours from that period to produce an authentic look

This was modelled and rendered in Daz while the design was made in Xara Designer 9.