Mid-Century Dress Pattern Design

Mid-century inspired pattern

Mid-Century Dress Pattern Design

Mid-century inspired pattern

Mid-Century Dress Pattern Design Swatch

I was pleased with the mannequins I could make with Daz and then with Cinema 4D but I was not quite so pleased with the clothing that I used. The problem was not that the clothing was badly made, quite the contrary, it is made perfectly well but the way it is made does not suit the way I work.

However, some experimentation with the new version of Daz has resulted in a much better look for my designs. This is a Genesis 2 character and the dress is the X2 dress which has a simpler construction and so the fabric design does not have to stretch and so distort across the dress. The result is a much more natural and pleasing look.

This pattern is 1950’s influenced in the use and construction of the motifs but the colours used are from my newly extended palette and intended to represent those colours used in the latter half of the 1960s. The difference is that they are brighter and more saturated giving the fabric design a much more colourful and, I hope, pleasing look.

If you would like to see larger versions of these designs and my other work then you can do so on my Flickr page, a link to which is here.

“In conversation”

A Daz Iray render

Yes, I know it’s taken some time, but I have been involved with other 3D work which has taken more time than I thought. However, at last, my first Daz Iray render is finished.

The scene is, as I have posted before, the apartment building that I made some time back in Cinema 4D. The model was transferred to Daz Studio as a Wavefront Object file and textured in Daz studio using Iray textures created for the most part by me. I then added some furniture created in Cinema 4D and textured this the same way. One or two of the smaller extras are, in fact, Daz models since I did not have suitable models that I had made and which were already transferred as object files. (This is something I hope to render shortly.)

Once that was complete I used a HDRI file that I obtained free from the Internet as a background, getting the Iray render to draw the dome. One problem I encountered is that it does not appear possible to easily see what portion of the image will appear through the window and so some frustrating trial and error took place before I was able to find a suitable part of the picture.

I then took two Genesis 2 models from Daz and put them in conversation before saving them in Daz format. It was easy then to merge this file and then position the girls in front of the window in a natural pose.

The lighting is simple emission lighting for the room, the HDRI for outside and a spotlight, suitably positioned, for the sun.

Overall I suppose I must have spent a week playing with various renders, lighting and texturing setups before I settled on this final image and now I have to say that I am pleased with the result. In an ideal world I would have added some dirt to both the room and the furnishings rather than resort to Photoshop.

Is this the way to use representations of people in 3D work? I believe that it is, I think the standard of finish for Iray is very acceptable and using Daz Studio means that it is not necessary to fiddle with the facial textures of the models in order to make them look good. Will I try this again? Certainly, I have learned a lot and gained some valuable experience in both exporting models to Daz Studio and in producing an acceptable scene. Looking back, it was both frustrating and exciting but it is definitely a project that I will look at again in the near future.

For access to a full size image my Flickr page is here.

Mid-century wallpaper xar149

Wallpaper xar149

Inspired by my retro wallpaper magazine I have produced several mid-century style wallpapers of which this is a particularly good example.

The colours are jonquil for the background and orchis as the colour for the main motif, and these colours look good together and are, of course, real mid-century hues.

The set is an unfurnished room from another set which I purchased although work is in hand to produce a studio set from the excellent P I C K components from YURdigital which can then be furnished from my existing stock of furniture.

I tried the design in a variety of colours and these colours shown were the best although it is quite possible that I may vary the colours when I use this design again since it is a wall covering that I like.

Wallpaper xar149 in use

 

xar148

xar148

A new pattern for the New Year: this is a mid-century style pattern designed as a fabric pattern but also, rather cheekily, used as a very contemporary mid-century wallpaper.

The colours are based on mid-century colours as created as British standards and so they are colours rather than colors. The colours used are, for the wallpaper, crimson, sky and light stone. In the fabric the colours are jasmine, oxlip and cocoa. Once again the colours are chosen because they are contemporary mid-century colours but also because they are colours that were frequently used and which naturally seem to go together.

The set is the Classic Deco room by Jack Tomalin and is shown here as it comes, totally unaltered save for the addition, rather cheekily, of the second colour variation of this pattern used as a feature wallpaper. Feature wallpapers such as this were big in the 1950s and 60s (at least in the UK) and this design looks very much at home in the house as it would have been during that period. The dress, incidentally, is the Paige dress just with the pattern added except for the wallpaper image where the colour of the dress has been warmed.

The image above is simply one of the pattern swatches and below is an image of one of the renders, the remaining images are on my Flickr account and the address is here.

xar148