Procedural Carpet

carpetTest03_1000

Procedural Carpet

I’ve been making carpets over the weekend, intending to try to create a simple carpet that I can easily recolour and to an extend re-pattern¬†to suit whatever room I am using.

Like most people in 3D, I create carpets by using an image that is a pattern and this is a relatively quick and easy way to do it. However, it not then possible to easily change the style or the colour without creating a new image, all of which takes time and means that I end up with vast libraries of the same pattern but in different hues.

This pattern, however, is created using the mathematics of the 3D program (Cinema 3D) and can be recoloured easily and, to an extent, re-patterned. The result, as you can see, is a reasonable carpet texture although the scope to use different patterns is more limited that I had thought.

This exercise was sparked, in part, by a decision to look at some new texture creation software, Substance Designer. This program creates a vast variety of procedural textures using plug-in nodes. It’s a good system but there is a learning curve cost and most of the textures I have seen are more suited to games rather to retro architecture. ¬† And so, after some thought, I think I have decided to stick to image textures and simply accept that I will have to enlarge my library!

As ever, you can also see larger versions of this and, of course, my other designs and patterns on my fabulous and ever-growing Flickr page which is here.

1950’s bedspread

Mid-century inspired 3D texture

1950’s bedspread

Mid-century inspired 3D texture

1950’s bedspread Swatch

As the 1950s progressed, patterns began to take their place once again in the various rooms of the house which had hitherto suffered from the plainness and drabness of wartime.

One place where there was immediately space for patterns was in the bedroom and so, as well as some nice new curtains, I have added a new bedspread.

This design is in keeping with the 1950s in colour and style although the motif is my own. The background is chestnut and the householder has chosen this to go with the curtains and to provide a large area of colour to make the bed look warm since there is no heating source in the bedroom. For many people, this was a time of cold bedrooms but warm hot water bottles!

To provide some variety and to allow me to show other features of the 1950s, I wanted to create a night-time scene and so I have added a table light to allow the occupant to read at night-time before going to sleep. A book and spectacle case was already there along with the ever-present ashtray (something rarely seen in bedrooms these days).

I have not included a swatch for this image since it is not, in fact, a real pattern, it not being designed to have a repeat.

As ever, you can also see larger versions of this and, of course, my other designs and patterns on my fabulous and ever-growing Flickr page which is here.