New Apartment Part II

apartmentvivian02_1000

New Apartment Part II

I decided to create some new furniture for the apartment that I made rather than use the existing furniture, since I had originally created some of those pieces more than five years ago.

As soon as I began to add furniture, I realised just how small the apartment was and how large the sets that I had used previously were. It did bring home to me the fact that many people live in small apartments and that it is probably a good idea to squeeze furniture in to make the sets look, at the very least, a little more realistic and representative of modern life.

Once I had got my mind around this problem I began to rather enjoy creating the basis of a new set in a small apartment. The image that you see is the first look at the way this set will appear although doubtless over the next few months I shall find countless alterations that seem to be necessary. However this first image is one that I’m pleased with since I like both the look of the room and the final finished project.

You can also see larger versions of this and my other work on my Flickr page which is here.

New Apartment

apartment-new-1000I spent some time with Shade 3D again but finally decided that I would go back to Cinema 4D for the moment as I am able to get better renders until I get more experienced with Shade.

This is a new apartment that I have created to showcase my patterns and textures and, of course, the furniture that I will ultimately create to fill the room. Rather than creating something large I thought it would be more useful to create a small apartment and the width of this is just 4 meters.

I am in the process of revising and updating most of the sets that I use and I expect that that is going to take me probably the next two or three months and this means that I will not, perhaps, be able to post as regularly as I have been

You can also see larger versions of this and my other work on my Flickr page which is here.

New Software

scene01_09_i1000I’ve been busy just lately changing software and spending some time climbing a, fortunately not–to–steep, learning curve.

I decided to go back to using Shade 3D, an excellent Japanese 3D program, which I started with many, many years ago at about version 8. Shade has grown in the intervening time and now, at version 16, it is a very different program to use. Luckily I kept up-to-date with some of the interim versions but it has still taken me a couple of weeks to begin to feel confident again.

One thing I wanted to do was to make a complete fresh start and create a new series of sets that I could use to display patterns and designs. Of course, it is also necessary to produce all of the furniture and other little bits and pieces that go to make up a room. However work is proceeding quite quickly and I have one room at least which is now complete.

This is probably as far as I shall get before Christmas as it is almost time for me to stop work for the holiday. And so I wish all of those reading this a very happy Christmas and an interesting and productive 2017.

You can also see larger versions of this and my other work on my Flickr page which is here.

Stratton Revisited

Mid-century inspired pattern

Stratton Revisited

I like the idea of using a fabric for more than one purpose in a room since it can provide continuity and interest as well as adding an unexpected focal point.

This is a pattern which was called Stratton and which I made to decorate the outside of mugs and it is still available for sale on Redbubble. However I have re-used the pattern and changed it in order to make it suitable for a fabric for use in the house.

Curtains are an obvious use and this pattern would make an excellent curtain which is light and pleasant without being eye-catching. I have also used this fabric on the cushions on the sofa so that, for the visitor, it will draw the eye from the curtains across the room and provide some form of continuity.

The pattern itself is not a complicated one and the frequent repeats give it a very pleasant and regulated look.

You can also see larger versions of this and my other work on my Flickr page which is here.

New Fabric Design

Mid-century inspired pattern

New Fabric Design

I wanted to create a stylish but not eye-catching or particularly colourful fabric in order to cover a new sofa that I have made.

This fabric has its roots in mid-century designs and colours although I have tried to bring it as up-to-date as I can while still preserving the look and feel of that period.

I have rearranged the furniture in the fabric furnishing testing room that I use so that there are now two sofas. The purpose of this is to give a better viewing area and to allow the light to fall from two different planes. The fabric itself is a little darker than I would usually use but I particularly did not want it to catch the eye but rather to be a more subtle texture.

The result, I think, is to create a room which has a sophistication and which allows the furnishing to dominate yet not intrude which was precisely the effect that I wanted to create.

You can also see larger versions of this and my other work on my Flickr page which is here.