“In conversation”

A Daz Iray render

Yes, I know it’s taken some time, but I have been involved with other 3D work which has taken more time than I thought. However, at last, my first Daz Iray render is finished.

The scene is, as I have posted before, the apartment building that I made some time back in Cinema 4D. The model was transferred to Daz Studio as a Wavefront Object file and textured in Daz studio using Iray textures created for the most part by me. I then added some furniture created in Cinema 4D and textured this the same way. One or two of the smaller extras are, in fact, Daz models since I did not have suitable models that I had made and which were already transferred as object files. (This is something I hope to render shortly.)

Once that was complete I used a HDRI file that I obtained free from the Internet as a background, getting the Iray render to draw the dome. One problem I encountered is that it does not appear possible to easily see what portion of the image will appear through the window and so some frustrating trial and error took place before I was able to find a suitable part of the picture.

I then took two Genesis 2 models from Daz and put them in conversation before saving them in Daz format. It was easy then to merge this file and then position the girls in front of the window in a natural pose.

The lighting is simple emission lighting for the room, the HDRI for outside and a spotlight, suitably positioned, for the sun.

Overall I suppose I must have spent a week playing with various renders, lighting and texturing setups before I settled on this final image and now I have to say that I am pleased with the result. In an ideal world I would have added some dirt to both the room and the furnishings rather than resort to Photoshop.

Is this the way to use representations of people in 3D work? I believe that it is, I think the standard of finish for Iray is very acceptable and using Daz Studio means that it is not necessary to fiddle with the facial textures of the models in order to make them look good. Will I try this again? Certainly, I have learned a lot and gained some valuable experience in both exporting models to Daz Studio and in producing an acceptable scene. Looking back, it was both frustrating and exciting but it is definitely a project that I will look at again in the near future.

For access to a full size image my Flickr page is here.

About Mike
I design and create 3D interiors and mid-century inspired surface patterns

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: